Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 1 Apr 2020
Position Title : Head of Sub-office
Duty Station : Nouadhibou, Mauritania
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 01 April 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is an intergovernmental organization created in 1951 which occupies a leading position on the migratory scene. Composed of 166-member states, plus eight other states with observer status, IOM has offices in more than 100 countries. IOM works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non- governmental partners to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people. Since September 2016, IOM has become the United Nations migration agency. IOM has been present in Mauritania since 2006 and currently has its main office in Nouakchott and sub-offices in Bassikonou, Selibabi and Nouadhibou.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission in Mauritania, and in coordination with relevant units within IOM Mauritania, the successful candidate will be in charge of coordinating all activities implemented by IOM in Nouadhibou with a particular focus on activities of protection and assistance to stranded migrants.
S/he will provide all necessary support and supervision for the effective and timely implementation of activities in the city of Nouadhibou.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Statistics, Political or Social Sciences, International Affairs or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience working and communicating with local authorities is an advantage;
• Experience in humanitarian programmes for migrants and capacity-building activities;
• Demonstrated capacity in project management and budget monitoring, including grants administration;
• Experience in Disaster Risk Reduction and Integrated Border Management;
• Ability to manage project assistants and works effectively with authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the central and local authorities and border communities to advance IOM’s objectives;
• Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions;
• Familiarity with financial management and monitoring;
• Previous related experience in the West African counties is an advantage.
• Excellent drafting ability and analytical skills, in particular the ability to draft papers of high quality primarily in French;
• Good knowledge of internal and international migration issues;
• Excellent analytical skills, including the ability to perform a variety of conceptual analyses required for the development, implementation and evaluation of projects;
• Good knowledge of project formulation, administration and evaluation techniques and practices;
• Good documentation skills in donor proposals and narrative reports;
• Good level of computer literacy.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in French and English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic, local languages and/or Spanish is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 01 April 2020 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 19.03.2020 to 01.04.2020
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2020 77 Head of Sub-office (P2) Nouadhibou, Mauritania (56375325) Released
Posting: Posting NC56375326 (56375326) Released